Saturday, May 10, 2008

Mother's Day reflections

Mother’s Day 04

Tomorrow is Mother's Day and for the past few days I have been trying to brace myself.  Ideally, the day would be all about Mom right? 

 My first Mother's Day kind of set the tone for me.  Dh bought me a set of muffin top muffin pans and 2 blank vhs tapes.  I'm not sure why.  I still haven't figured out how to use the VCR and he said the muffin pans were so I could make muffins for Hannah.  She was 2 months at the time.

In the years that followed,  whatever happened on Mother's Day seemed to fluctuate with whatever was going on in the home and I really don't remeber many of them.  I do not like breakfast in bed and nothing would be better than sleeping in but for us it's a hectic morning, getting out the door to church.

The most Memorable Mother's Day ever,  and by far my favourite was four years ago.  Dh was working in another province and I was on my own with the kids for 4 months.  I was feeling most competant because I was able to handle everything on my own and I came to the realization that if anything happened to dh, I would make it.  He had been home the weekend before for a visit and left a willowtree angel for the kids to give me.  Something I had just started to collect.  The best part though was the breakfast in bed.  I know I said I don't like breakfast in bed but this one was special.   Hannah was 7 and Parker was 4.  They made breakfast all by themselves.  A can of Coke, a granola bar and an apple, all served on a pizza pan.  Absolutely perfect.

So I am off to bed and no idea what Mother's Day will be like tomorrow.  I brace myself for the unknown.  Kids could be cranky, getting out the door on time could be disasterous...who knows.  I used to take it personally as an assault on my job as a mother.  I'm past that now though.

And in the end, what goes around comes around.  There's a reason that Mother's Day comes before Father's Day.  :)

4 comments:

  1. LOL Sarah....hope tomorrow is filled with many special memories!

    Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the picture LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that last line! That is just too funny!

    ReplyDelete