Sunday, September 14, 2008

Irving Neighbor Day

I live next to the Irving Oil Refinery.  Parker's school has a partnership with the refinery and they often contribute back to the school with donations and time.   The program is called CHEER.

 

 Yesterday, Irving held a Neighbor day for the community. 



 They had a free BBQ with hotdogs, hamburgers, salads. beverages and sweets.



Airbrush tattoos



Bounce Castles





Cookie decorating



Health and Wellness displays



Informative displays on pollution reduction- notice Lydia intently paying attention.  She lugged her bag around the whole school.





We also got to take a bus tour of the refinery.  Since we drive by almost every day, the kids were excited to see the inside.







They have their own fire department.





A safety sign- reminding employees that the best reasons for working safely are the smallest ones.



Oil tank



Here's what we brought home in our goody bags



3 bags of chips, 3 treat bags, 3 bags of cotton candy, 3 puzzle magnets

8 shoelaces, 3 popup frisbees, 2 first aid kits, 3 apples, 1 Irving bag

4 cloth shopping bags, 4 pens, 2 pencils, 5 penlight key chains, 1 tire gauge

Great way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

7 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you got photos I forgot my camera! The tour was cool and I learned so much from it! Wow we missed a bunch of stuff in the school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think I should get a jacket like Charles?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll get one made for you..."CPO BLOGGER" lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. But then I'd be banned...from the Legislature, City Hall, the court house....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah! I wish I had of known 4 years ago. I was right beside you at the refinery for meetings!!!

    Awesome pics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You'll have to come back. We'll show you a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh I`d love too!

    I didn`t get to see much when I was there - my goal is to get back that way one day to visit!

    ReplyDelete