Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Progress for the boy

Today was Parker's last day of literacy.  3 weeks of 1.5 hours a day and he has moved up two reading levels.  I'm so excited for him.  He has an appointment in August with a pediatric neurologist.  Last September he was assessed and diagnosed with dysgraphia   We take any extra help we can get.  We've purchased an XO laptop   for him. It's a neat machine and he'll be able to take it to school if we can figure out how to teach him to type. It is a definite learning curve for me though as it uses open source software and doesn't run Windows. Just when we were getting it figured out, it crashed and it looks like it will reset itself one month after the crash date. Jeff will then fix the bug with a patch.
Anyway, I am thrilled with Parker's reading progress but I am still concerned with his writing. He's moving into grade three and I have a hard time understanding what he has written unless I am the one helping him with it. Aside from spelling, Hannah's writing has always been clear and concise. Not that i understand her level of French. If anyone has any suggestions, I'll take them. I'm going to look for voice to text software too. I hear Google is working on it.
Hopefully the neurologist will confirm my theory that Parker's motor skills, speech issues and writing skills are all related. In my mind, he's got all the connections there, they are just twisted and tangled and it takes longer to get there or he needs to find an alternate route. The motor skills have come along way this year and I am thrilled that he's becoming a little dare devil.

No comments:

Post a Comment